If you want to create beautiful typography, frames for pictures, or custom photo layouts, then you will need to use the Photoshop Clipping Mask. This is a technique that is so useful, at the same time it is beginner friendly.
So in this article I am going to show you how to create a clipping mask in photoshop easily. Not only beginners, but also the professionals can take a look at this page. I hope you won't have any confusion after reading the whole process.
Clipping Mask :
Before jumping into our main topic, I think we need to know what is a clipping mask, because it is also important to know about what we are going to do. It will help to clear our confusion.
Clipping mask is alike to deduction the shapes or patterns from one paper and pasting it to another paper or layer. Minimum two layers are required for this task, but multiple layers also can be added.
How to Create a Clipping Mask in Photoshop : Easy Way
The process of creating clipping mask is a quite simple task. Even if you are a beginner, you can easily do this by following some simple steps. Because, Photoshop has the "Create Clipping Mask" at the Layer Panel by which you can convert a layer into a clipping mask.
Let's take a look at the whole process—
- First of all you will need to choose an area of the layer beneath the picture layer.
- Open the picture that you want to use. It will be settled at the background layer automatically.
- As the background layer is usually secured by default, click on the symbol of lock on the layer name to unlock it.
- After unlocking the background, it will be converted to Layer 0. Now you can do what you want to create a clipping mask.
- You will need multiple layers to create a Photoshop clipping mask. So, when the image is in the Layer 0, do create another layer, and that will be Layer 1.
- The topmost layer should contain the image. So, you need to drag and drop the new layer beneath the first one.
- Select the Layer 1 from the Layer Panel by using any tools that are available. Now select a region over the picture.
- The size and shape of a clipping mask depends on your selection.
- You will se your selection if you hide the visibility of the layer 0. Now you will need to fill the area with pattern or color.
- It will help you to preserve your selected region. To fill the area, at first you need to go to the 'Edit Menu' and select fill.
- You can fill the region with color or design of your choice. But, if you fill it with black color, it will help you to see your selected area clearly even after deselection.
- After filling the selected area, you can deselect it by clicking the select menu, then choosing the deselect option.
Follow these steps to make the process easier :
- Go back to layer 0 and make it visible by selecting the layer. Now click on the, choose the 'Create Clipping Mask' option.
- After that, it will convert the layer 0 into clipping mask automatically beneath the layer.
- By following this process you can create basic clipping mask using Photoshop. Also, you can add other layers if you want.
- If you do not like the appearance of the image inside the clipping mask, you can also move it around. Firstly, select the layer 0, then use 'Move Tool' and change the position of the image.
That's it! This is the whole process by which you can easily create a clipping mask using Photoshop like a Boss.
Bottom Line :
One of the most exciting features of Photoshop CC is the Clipping Path Service. There are many more things you can do with the help of this feature, but definitely the skill will develop by practice and dedication. So, make sure to explore all the possible ways to use this feature and become an amazing designer